Common causes of residential fires in Salt Lake City and how to prevent them
There are many dangers you must think about as a property owner. Fire is chief among them, as it can arise in any place and at any moment. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated a stunning $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States because of residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were more than 350,000 documented incidents. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to avoid them. Learn more about the causes and how to prevent house fires in Salt Lake City.
What sparks residential fires in Salt Lake City?
Fires can sprout up anywhere and without warning, whether sparked by a burning cigarette in a trash can or an ignored stovetop. Here are the leading causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Kitchen flare-ups are the most frequent sorts of residential fires in Salt Lake City and all other areas. Neglected stovetops are the main cause, so always watch that smoking skillet when cooking. It’s also essential to note that dumping water on a grease fire will only make things worse.
- Heating: Space heaters are a well-known cause of residential fires. Operating them for long amounts of time can result in inner parts degrading and igniting. Placing heaters near combustible textiles like blankets and drapery or using damaged cords may also lead to disastrous results. Other types of heating, such as furnaces and fireplaces, could cause fires and should be examined regularly.
- Electrical: Worn out wiring, defective outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are a few of the ways electrical problems cause fires. If you discern burning smells, sparking, or flickering lights, get it inspected right away.
- Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's a chance of fire. Residential fires from candles are still all too common and typically result from carelessness. Placing candles in close proximity to ignitable items like drapery or keeping them within the domain of an inquisitive pet will lead to disaster.
- Smoking: In spite of the overall reduction in smoking nationwide, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration announced that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep with a cigarette still burning or prematurely throwing out smoldering ashes can cause destructive results.
The best way to prevent house fires in Salt Lake City is to eliminate negligent behavior. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, don’t leave a candle burning unattended, and dispose of cigarettes properly. If you must operate a space heater, do so in short intervals and use one that includes an automatic shut-off feature in the event it is knocked over.
Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Salt Lake City
You need to have smoke detectors on all floors and more near sleeping areas. But you can take your home’s safety a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety features will not only detect smoke but can also be triggered due to elevated heat levels. In addition, considering they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring specialists whenever a disaster strikes. This is a notable benefit, especially when you’re not there to hear the alarm and call the fire department yourself.
Defend against various threats with a Vivint smart home in Salt Lake City
Upgrade the safety of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You can personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be thankful for the instant notifications to your mobile device and the peace of mind that you get with professional monitoring. Contact (385) 350-4458 to get started.